Mahy In WA

Life in Warmun...

Saturday, June 23, 2007

2007 and almost half a year down!!
Where does the time go?!

Since last entry, lots has happened. Time out here seems to go even faster than time in Sydney. Here I am a year and a half down the track from first arriving in Warmun and it is time to start thinking about going home. The question of the month is just that... Will I come home this year? If anyone has an answer to that one, be sure to let me know!!

After Jo's visit I went back to Sydney for Ben and Lisa's wedding, what a special day that was!! As I sit writing this I am counting down the days till their arrival later this month, before they head off on a world trip.

Nurragu (Leanne Mosquito) came to Sydney with me in those holidays, we had an awesome time and we are looking at taking the high school to Sydney at the end of the year.




Lucas, Me, Jo, Nurragu at Penshurst Pub


On return to Warmun, I caught up with a cowboy that I met at those races, and we have been seeing each other ever since. Rod, is currently working as a 'ringer' out on Argyle Downs station. Below is a picture of us at the latest Rodeo, his station manager and good friend Jo, organises the event. Hodgie (Rod) is on the organising committee.





He has introduced me to the life of cowboys, horses and bullocks. I must say it is a life that I am yet to tire of! We spend a lot of time out bush, exploring Aboriginal rock art and beautiful scenery.


Behind my head in the picture is some rock art on the property that Rod is working at this year

This year has brought 5 new teachers to Warmun, one of those has already moved on. Consistency for these students is so important, but the nature of the place lends itself to almost an entire new staff every year. The high school is doing well though. The growing number of students that we were getting has leveled off and we have a regular group of 30 students now!! (A lot better than the 4 that I started with!!). The principal Sr Alma has been very supportive in my ideas for the way things could run this year, and we are starting to resemble an actual high school, with 3 teachers, rotating classes, diaries, folders, email, etc.

A new teacher Dave takes the boys class for homeroom and I have the girls. Another new teacher, Nick, is the other teacher in the high school. We have really come a long way with these kids this year, it makes me want to continue another year. However, the remote issues are starting to take their toll on me and I am not sure how much more I have to give. This feeling goes in waves, but it lingers a little longer each time...


Students at Argyle Diamond Mine earlier this year


Term 1 saw some late floods in the area, 200ml in one evening nearly washed the community away!! Locals woke to water lapping at their mattresses! Turkey Creek was in full flood at 5AM. By the time I got to school, the flood was down to the top of the basketball courts. In the picture below you can just see my students stuck on the other side of the creek. Needless to say it wasn't a great day for attendance. It was almost like a town holiday was called and everyone went to the creek for a swim!


Last weekend I spent out bush with Rod. I got to count a few hundred head of cattle, and spend a beautiful night out under the stars...



Through the haze of the dust at sunset, you can just see the cattle staring at me...


The camp that Rod and the Argyle crew were at for 2 weeks (Sultan Hole)


There are a few more pictures and stories that I will share at a later date. Things are well here, I do miss NSW. I would love to do another year here, I am hoping these holidays bring me regeneration to help get me to the point where I can commit a bit longer. The progress of these students this year is amazing, my girls really are 'my girls' and it will break my heart to leave them...

2 Comments:

  • At 6:23 pm, Blogger Chris Betcher said…

    I am so envious of your stay up there. It sounds amazing! Enjoy your remaining time there, however long that turns out to be.

    Chris

     
  • At 6:49 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Leanne,

    i just heard the news. CONGRATULATIONS. I am so happy for you both on your engagement. May your past together be beautfukl stepping stones to your wonderful future together.

    Sheryn

     

Post a Comment

<< Home